As the designated Title IV-D agency, the Chatham County Department of Child Support Services is responsible for:

  • Locating absent parents
  • Establishing paternity
  • Establishing, enforcing and modifying child and medical support orders
  • Collecting and distributing child support monies

DCSS accepts applications from mothers, fathers and other individuals who have custody of a child, such as grandparents.  Our office represents the State of Georgia in providing child support services and does not represent either parent in the case.  Applicants do not have the right to select what enforcement actions are taken on their cases.  The DCSS is required to provide all appropriate services for the benefit of the children.

Either parent can call our office at 1-877-423-4746 to schedule an appointment to open a case.  Or, they may visit our local office at 222 West Oglethorpe Avenue, Savannah, GA  31401.  Anyone who receives help from the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program or receives certain Medicaid benefits can obtain help from DCSS without having to apply.  All others must complete an application form and pay a fee of $25.  Applications are available at all Division of Child Support Services offices or you may fill out an application online at:

Obtaining child support involves a wide variety of factors, making it difficult to predict the time required to secure payments on individual cases.  For example, one case may require the full range of services – locating the absent parent, establishing paternity and a support order, and enforcing the order.  Another case may have a divorce decree with an established order, a social security number, and an employer for the noncustodial parent, allowing enforcement through an administrative income deduction order.

The most important information an applicant can provide, aside from the noncustodial parent’s current address, is the name and address of the noncustodial parent’s current employer.  If the current employer is not known, the name and address of the last known employer should be provided.

Additionally, the following information concerning the noncustodial parent should be provided:

  • Social security number and date of birth
  • Names and addresses of relatives and friends
  • Names of banks or creditors such as utility companies
  • Names of organizations, unions or clubs to which the NCP belongs
  • Places where the NCP spends free time

It may take several months to receive child support if you do not know where the other parent lives or if the address is out of state.  There is no guarantee the other parent will be found, but the more information you provide, the easier it will be.

If available, child support applicants should submit copies of the following:

  • Copy of the divorce decree, separation agreement or court order
  • Copy of the acknowledgment of paternity, if one has been signed
  • The birth certificate(s) of the child(ren) involved
  • All documents that may reflect both parents’ income and assets (paycheck stubs, tax  returns, bank statements, etc.)
  • Evidence of child support payment history